Sunday, November 11, 2012

Dirty Birds

"Dirty Bird #1," 2012. Laura Tringali Holmes. Paper collage with décollage
on 5 x 7 canvas board. Ink transfers from antique papers, mica splits, charcoal,
and beeswax finish. 

These four works form a series borne of weeks of listening to a large part of the Rufus Wainwright musical oeuvre. As you can see, my reaction to Wainwright's complex layering of sound and personal experience was a stanchless layering of paper in an attempt to construct a vignette of my own personal history. I call this series "Dirty Birds."

I relied heavily on the process of décollage to create this series. The word décollage comes from the French (décoller), meaning to unstick or take off. And that's just what I did. I layered a ton of paper. I then methodically removed most of it with my fingertips, leaving only traces of what had gone before. I used water to soften up the layers, sometimes spit, and coffee, too.

Rubbing off the new to reveal the old and vice versa. Building an intimate intersection of then and now. As Rufus Wainwright so masterfully does in his musical work.


"Dirty Bird #2," 2012. Laura Tringali Holmes. Paper collage with décollage
on 5 x 7 canvas board. Ink transfers from antique papers, mica splits, charcoal,
 and beeswax finish.

While décollage technically may be about rubbing off, for me, much of the process happens at the front end of the work, in the planning, when the ideas spark. What should survive the excavation? How best to assist the interaction of the paper layers both during the décollage process and in the finished work?

And what about color? In décollage, I have discovered, the luscious inks on antique paper will often transfer to the work even as you meticulously rub away its carrier pulp. There's a lot of controlled ink transfer going on in these pieces. This is stuff to think about in advance.


"Dirty Bird #3," 2012. Laura Tringali Holmes. Paper collage with décollage
on 5 x 7 canvas board. Ink transfers from antique papers, mica splits, charcoal,
 and beeswax finish.

While blithesome kick-up-your-heels serendipity is never to be denied, the workhorse for me in the creation of this series was care. And control. Again, a reflection of what I was hearing in my studio.

"Dirty Bird #4," 2012. Laura Tringali Holmes. Paper collage with décollage
on 5 x 7 canvas board. Ink transfers from antique papers, mica splits, charcoal, and beeswax finish.

Hope you enjoy the Dirty Birds.
---
A note to those who, like myself, care about such things: The prominent text snips in all four works come from Gloria Steinem's 1993 book, Revolution From Within, which was out the door in the library recycle pile when I happened to grab it back. Flipping idly through the pages, the book fell open to the story about Laura and the Confidence Clinic. My name is Laura. I've been working on confidence. A tip of the hat to serendipity, and there you have it.

10 comments:

Dan Daughters said...

Teach us more, Mrs Tringali Holmes! Wonderful stuff. When I finish getting my blog working, I'll start following yours more often.

Cappuccinoandartjournal.blogspot.com said...

Wonderful collages - very inspiring.

amy of studio four corners said...

the images.the words.the serendipitous moment.a wonderful outcome.

Cindy Silverstein said...

Wonderful, strong work full of confidence..that's how your collages have always seemed to me. You've inspired me to paint more often to music. This post brought up feelings and peeled open some layers from the past. Rufus' Grandmother, Martha, was a very close friend of mine. His name always brings back memories of this beautiful, kind, intelligent, brave woman who was so much fun to be with. I loved her dearly and count her as one of the greatest people I've ever known.

Cindy Silverstein said...

Wonderful, strong work full of confidence..that's how your collages have always seemed to me. You've inspired me to paint more often to music. This post brought up feelings and peeled open some layers from the past. Rufus' Grandmother, Martha, was a very close friend of mine. His name always brings back memories of this beautiful, kind, intelligent, brave woman who was so much fun to be with. I loved her dearly and count her as one of the greatest people I've ever known.

Laura Tringali Holmes said...

Thank ya, DD. Always good to see you around.

Laura Tringali Holmes said...

Cindy, I'm happy that I could cause a cherished memory to burble up, though they are often bittersweet. I hope you try working to music...everything goes better with music....

Laura Tringali Holmes said...

Thanks Pamela and Amy. So glad you enjoyed, and thanks for letting me know.

Irene Rafael said...

there is a note that has been on my desk for a long time. "it says keep layering until you love it.' your post today and you layers made me smile.

Laura Tringali Holmes said...

Oh, Irene, I love that! Thanks for providing me with a new motto!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...