Sunday, March 11, 2012

The Un-Journal

Way back when, I had prepped a travel journal to take to Italy. I talked about the construction here: (“Grooving with the Glitch” http://lauratringaliholmes.blogspot.com/2011/08/grooving-with-glitch.html ). But I never used my journal. As it happened, and as I was warned might happen, I wound up liking my journal pristine, untouched by pen-in-human-hand.

Here are some of the pages from the journal. I had such fun with it, creating pockets for secret thoughts and making extra writing surfaces by recycling clothing tags.










But it wasn't just the love of pristine-ery that kept my hands off my journal during my trip and afterward. Truth be told, and as it happened, the pages were just too scratchy with texture for the good ink glide that I demand from my pen while journaling.

Hence, an un-journal. But just for now. My plan is to make prints of my journal pages on rich paper, design a cool binding, and then allow my ink--and my thoughts--to flow.

Thanks for listening.

6 comments:

Cynthia Monica said...

I like the idea of a pristine un-journal....maybe when you make copies of the pages and re-bind them it will be another un-journal, or a journal-un-journal :o)

Laura Tringali Holmes said...

Ha! I'm liking the journal-un-journal idea, Cynthia!

Carole Reid said...

Nothing worse than scratchy paper when smooth is what is wanted!

Unknown said...

I've had that same problem with the texture not taking the ink. I've used teabag paper to solve it though. Just write what you want on the teabag paper and then adhere it with your gel medium on top of the whole business. It has a sheer quality like tissue paper but is quite a bit stronger.

Emce said...

Hi
Thanks for your comment on my collaborative corps, i have read yours. I was total new for me working in this way, but i enjoyed it!

Laura Tringali Holmes said...

Teabag paper. Fabulous idea. Thank you, Kimmie!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...