Saturday, March 17, 2012

Un-BIRD-ening in Spring 2012

Last year I found a box of old Audubon bird flashcards on my library's swap shelf. The flashcards sat around my loft for quite some time, but then, just a few weeks ago, I found myself making gel transfers of the images of my favorite birds--the ones who regularly hang out at my deck feeders. These gel transfers seemed to quite naturally gravitate to the texts in some of my favorite old books and magazines. I was hooked. I added a variety of mixed-media techniques...and a bird series was born. The pieces are not quick to make, and there are about a dozen in the pipeline. But the work is a meditative exercise, and gives me time and space to think and feel. I work on these pieces on days when I can throw the loft skylights open and hear the sweet and invigorating music of bird talk.

"Innocent Yet World-Weary"
Gel image transfer of birds from old Audubon flashcards,
old papers, acrylic paint, inks, charcoal pencil, gold pen,
mica dust and beeswax on 5 x 7 canvas
"You've Got to Punctuate"
Gel image transfer of birds from old Audubon flashcards, gel
image transfer of flower from old gardening book, old papers,
acrylic paint, inks, charcoal pencil, gold pen, mica dust, and
beeswax on 5 x 7 canvas

This shot shows the gels soaking in water, prior to peeling.

A look at the image emerging after peeling off some of the paper, like a nestling emerging
from its shell.

And thanks for listening.

4 comments:

amy of studio four corners said...

since I have a thing for birds, I immediately loved these images...such a depth of layers. went to a benefit auction for an artist friend last night...the one piece we bought has a bird sitting on a stack of books...perfect!

Laura Tringali Holmes said...

Books and birds! Like peanut butter and jelly to me!

my croft said...

gorgeous.
I have an old (c. 1960s) guide to flowers . . .

Caterina Giglio said...

bright and rich pieces ... very powerful... birds have such meaning to convey about relationships... nicely done

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...