Thursday, August 18, 2011

With A Simple Change of Hats

There's nothing as potent as an act of creation to shift one's tectonic plates, to shake out a new perception or two from the old truth. I suspect that when people get into “a zone,” their brains forge brave new neurological pathways. And surely the personal defense network loses some of its force when one is on fire with focus. Not that I have been on fire with focus. On the contrary. I've been coping (or not) with that most difficult of adult transitions, the loss of a parent. Still, or maybe because of, there is capacity for movement forward.

As illustration, below you will find two pieces of work. One is a "before" and one is an "after." I collaged the "before" in June of this year (about two months after my mom was killed). I loved the old photo, and especially the lady on the left. I loved, and still love, how the lady looks into the camera, how she wears those long black gloves in a rowboat. When I first saw her, I wanted to sail her off into the sunset in fine style, as a sort of tribute to my mom. My goal was to conjure a flying-off-the-edge-of-the-earth feeling, and, in fact, as a design reference I used the Peter Pan attraction in Fantasyland at Disney World, a ride where one goes careening over London in a flying pirate ship.

I made an acetate transparency of the photo, back-papered the rowboat with assorted paper scraps, and developed light and color. At the end of the process, on a whim, I opened a brand new jar of tar gel (never used the stuff before, had scooped it off a clearance rack), and soon found that by whipping the gel really hard I could get ocean-spray-like bubbles, which I liked. (I also made plastic-looking swaths, which I didn't like, but that's a subject for another time.) At the last minute I gave the lady with the long gloves a whimsical yellow hat using paper cut from an old notebook. While I felt that the work had areas of disjointed composition, I didn't know what to do about it, so I called this piece done.
The BEFORE collage
 8x10 hand collage on canvas board
Photo courtesy of the collection of Mrs. Inman
Fast forward to just a few days ago—mid-August, two months after the original composition. I find myself in my workshop trying to scratch off that damn yellow hat. What the heck? It seems that I was having an allergic reaction. There was something about the whimsy of that hat that was really bothering me. And those gloves? I was having a problem with them, too. My mom, the copilot of my dad's sushi fishing enterprise, would never have seen the humor—or the statement—in wearing them, although in her youth, before children, I understand she was quite the fashion plate. And then there was this. The woman's direct gaze.

I can't remember the last time my mom looked at me like that. 

Clearly, some truth was trying really hard to get out.

And, as most truths will do, if we listen, this one eventually rose to the surface. 

And this is what I heard. The "before" collage is more about the mother who I wished I had than it is about the mother who I actually did have. This piece is not about my mom at all. It is about me. When I took breaks from digging at the the surface of the work with my fingernails, there emerged tantalizing bits and pieces of the truth, and I eventually realized that the disjointed elements I had come to criticize in the piece were a reflection of my own disjointed emotions, nothing more and nothing less.

But although I'm talking pain here--sadness and regret--I'm also talking epiphany, and that is where the "after" version of the collage comes in. If you hang around in your head long enough, I find, connections emerge, and in this case I realized that while the lady in the long gloves had nothing to do with my mother, she had everything to do with one of my daughters (who, coincidentally, is celebrating a birthday later this month). This daughter wears the photo lady's confident and determined gaze. This daughter values precision but delights in play and whimsy. This daughter is as comfortable on the ocean as she is on shore. This daughter, a born traveler, would as easily wear long black gloves as Thai fisherman's pants. Most important, this daughter, the girl born with maps in her bloodstream, wouldn't hesitate to board one of  Peter Pan's pirate ships for a careening voyage anywhere.

And so an imperative was born, and I challenged myself to redo the collage for my daughter's birthday. Which I did, reflecting not only my love for my daughter but the connection she shares with her grandmother, my mom. The hats were key here. I made them out of postage stamps, and the postage stamps at the bottom of the piece reflect not only the places to which my daughter has already travelled, but many of the places yet to be seen.

Past. Present. Future.

Here is the result. Thanks as always for listening.
The AFTER collage
"The Travelers"
 8 x 10 hand collage on canvas board
Featuring  many postage stamps

13 comments:

Emce said...

Thanks fotr sharing your private thoughts and feelings, I'm happy to see the Netherlands between the stamps.
You are the link between your mom and daughter, do not forget!

Carole Reid said...

Laura, relationships between moms and daughters are one of the most interesting, loving, sometimes heartbreaking relationships in the universe. I love the way this collage evolved and how it opened your eyes and that you were will to move with it. Congratulations on being sensitive enough to moving forward with it.

Laura Tringali Holmes said...

Thanks, Carole. I'm always amazed at how emotions percolate upward, if we let them. Glad I didn't throw this one in the recycle bin, which is where it was headed!

Laura Tringali Holmes said...

Of course the Netherlands, Emce! One day I will get there myself! I was surprised at the power of what you call "the link." So true.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Laura,

Sorry I hadn't been around in awhile. What with company last week and working in my basement studio prior to that, I was offline most of the week. I really like the finished piece. I've never used tar gel. I almost bought some one day, but it was NOT on sale or clearance, so I thought it was a bit pricey. Love what you did with it, though.

Thanks for the visit to my blog. I started my flower garden (in the front yard) about eight years ago with the plan that I would NOT water it. Mother nature could take care of the watering and I would allow anything that didn't live through to the following year to become a casualty. Up until this year, I've had loads of deep shade perennials in the garden and many partial shade perennials. I don't plant annuals. They are a real waste of time and money. This year everything that has worked in the past, just didn't work. I think the drought really affected my day lilies, cone flowers, and hostas, which have never turned brown so early before. In fact, the day lilies didn't even bloom and I normally have a ton of flowers. In the spring, I had lots of flowers, including peonies, lilac, iris, daffodils, and sweet William. But the heat took over the first week in June and by mid July, everything was dead or dying. I know they'll be back next year. But it's painful to see only lemon verbena and vinca vines take over my garden this August. At least they are green, not brown. Thanks for your comments. Sounds like you and I both follow the same Xeriscaping process of water conservation and labor saving plantings.

Laura Tringali Holmes said...

Hi, B&E...and don't forget to add that swap organization to your list of things-that-kept-you-off-the-computer! That was really impressive. Interesting about your daylilies--it was a bad year for them in the NY tri-state area, at least everywhere I looked. My stars this year were thistle, hollyhock, and Denver Daisies, which did beautifully in partial shade (it's a type of coneflower). I'm assuming you have ajuga and nepata? These guys are workhorse groundcovers for me. Yes, I think we have the same gardening philosophy. Xeriscaping rules!

my croft said...

what a treat to run across your name in the blog comments at Art Propelled. If I'm not mistaken, we worked together on a home repair book when I was at the Reader's Digest and you were my favorite freelance writer. Does this sound familiar?

-Melanie

Laura Tringali Holmes said...

Hi, Melanie! Thank you for finding me! And, yes, RD is embedded in my soul, a map to sanity, a most favored client, responsible for helping me navigate some difficult years. Are you still in touch with the office? I know many parts of it destructured. Cool to see your blog name is Mycroft now that I am a Holmes. We are yoked in the Sherlocking Canon, it would appear!

Caterina Giglio said...

wonderful collage work! thanks for being a follower! ciao, bella!

LaWendula said...

The Travelers is a great collage! Very inspiring work!

Seth said...

What a personal and inspiring post. It is fascinating to read about your process here and see what both the 'before' and the 'after' reflect. And...so sorry about your mother.

Laura Tringali Holmes said...

La Dolce Vita, my pleasure!
LaWendula, many thanks!
Seth, every day is a challenge. Art helps, indeed it does!

ArtPropelled said...

Dear Laura, I am sorry to hear you are going through the grief of losing your mom. Isn't it amazing how art and collage in particular can stir up memories and suppressed information. Glad the art is helping you to work through it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...