Friday, December 2, 2011

Pushing It

"Perfect 10," hand collage on playing card, Laura Tringali Holmes, 2011

When I decided to stop coloring my hair, my hair cutter advised a buzz cut, overdying, and a head-wrapping scarf to shield the world from my transition--in that order. I wasn't buying it, not one single bit. Eventually, after a bunch of back-and-forths, my hair cutter moved off polar opposite. We agreed to face the transition of brown to silver with flexibility and with the heart of a Columbus or Champlain. Ball in her court.

We didn't talk about it, but all of a sudden, a few layers were cut into my long hair--for "movement," my hair-cutter's theory being that movement was as good a disguise of transitioning as any.

A few weeks later, more layers, more "movement." I noticed that I could swing my hair to good effect. In motion, there is a beauty lacking in the static. I felt like a well-groomed collie. Silver on top, brown at the tips. I was surprised. My hair cutter smirked, like she had known the answer all along.

This, the woman who was one step short of draping me in a burka, to protect the eyes of society from poor, growing-out-of-hair-dye me.

Upon reflection, I realize that from the scarf to  the scissor artistry, this is a lesson in how we grow.

Suppose I had caved to the pressure of the scarf? Suppose my hair cutter had stuck to her preconceptions?

When we rise to challenges, we find stuff that we didn't even know we had. My hair cutter lifted her scissors in honor of the challenge. I rose to the challenge of letting her rise to the challenge.

In the continuum of life and experience, I realize that what bothers me when reading about other scissoring endeavors, such as "collage made easy," and that there are "no mistakes in collage," and that collage is a good way to "use up your leftovers," is the lack of progress upward.  

The easy way out would have put me in a scarf, or a buzz cut, or even more hair dye.

Why push for that when the options are so much more expansive?

As always, thanks for listening.

6 comments:

Carole Reid said...

I can't stand up to my haircutter.....it's so hard to get in to see her I just let her do what she wants as she's my talented daughter!
You are right, we need to grow and stretch ourselves and not be bullied about by other's preconceptions. Life is too short to worry about tying a scarf around our heads and hiding the grey!

Emce said...

thanks for sharing, i'm trying to get from dark to blond to grey :)
perhaps i should try your way....

Cindy said...

I have been wanting to do the same thing! You have encouraged me!

Laura Tringali Holmes said...

Yes, Carole, life IS too short!
Emce, good luck on finding your comfort level!
Cindy, glad I could provide some encouragement!

Anonymous said...

Love this piece..and your story! I've been trying to get my wife to stop over dyeing her gray...but she keeps talking about the "transition". Maybe if she reads your post....

Laura Tringali Holmes said...

Glad you like the piece, Dave. Not many people do. It's actually one of my favorite altered playing cards--my take on American popular culture. As for the transition to silver, it's interesting, to say the least, to see what you're going to look like when you wake up every morning. But it's far less awkward than I had feared and I love the time I save not having to deal with dye.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...