Monday, January 2, 2012

Longitudes and Lattitudes

Eight playing cards for collaboration flew into my life about four months ago. I was drawn to the variety of birds on the playing cards—avian creatures ranging from eagles and egrets to chickadees. Even the humble junco had a place! But I think it was this very diversity that, in the end, threw me. If the cards had contained a bunch of iconic Big Black Birds I would have run with the symbology. I love Big Black Birds. But real birds? The type I watch in the pond and at the feeders and everywhere I travel? Nope. The feeling was strong that I needed to honor these guys. I wanted to unify the set of cards to reflect my thoughts about the birds I so love. But how? Enter paralysis. And so I perched on the cards for about four months, with nothing feeling right.

And then I was lucky enough to spend a half-day at the Metropolitan Museum of Art. I was there for other exhibits, but one of the last things I managed to squeeze in was the Photographic Treasures from the Collection of Alfred Stieglitz show for no other reason than that my companion is interested in all things photographic. The images that I saw unmoored me, carried me off to someplace with different longitudes and lattitudes. I was reminded yet again that when we give ourselves opportunity to look at viewpoints other than the ones we are used to every day, we give ourselves the freedom to change perspective.

And thus the Birdwatcher series was born. Here are a few samples from the set of eight cards.

Birdwatcher #4, Laura Tringali Holmes & Liz Cohn, December 2011
Paper on paper on playing card with mixed media

"Birdwatcher #7," Laura Tringali Holmes & Liz Cohn, December 2011
Paper on paper on playing card with mixed media

"Birdwatcher #1," Laura Tringali Holmes & Liz Cohn, December 2011
Paper on paper on playing card with mixed media

This set of cards will be part of a travelling exhibition created by Liz Cohn called “Playing With (more than) a Full Deck." The show's first stopover is February 2 at the Cannon Beach Gallery in Cannon Beach, Oregon. From there it moves to Portland. At last count, there are over 1200 tiny collaborative works of art featuring over 150 artists.

It was a close call, but I'm so glad that these eight cards will make it in time.

Thanks for listening.

12 comments:

amy of studio four corners said...

the inclusion of the film strip details gives such a interesting viewpoint - like a clip of an old broken film where you can only make out some of the image...do you know where I can find more details about the travelling exhibit...was planning on a portland trip in the first part of the year and would like to see this exhibit if possible
and happy new year to you Laura!

Carole Reid said...

Sometimes sitting, perched, waiting on an art project is just what's needed to open our eyes. These have layers of interest and colour and beauty. Nicely done Laura and on time too! Great start to 2012!

Laura Tringali Holmes said...

amyd, the exhibition info, continually updated, is here at Liz Cohn's website: http://www.lizcohnartstudio.com/lizcohnartstudio.com/about_Playing_with_a_Full_Deck_-_a_mail-art_playing_card_collaboration.html

The Portland show is at the 12 x 16 Gallery, starting in May...I wonder if Cannon Beach (Feb. 2-27), will be anywhere near where you're travelling earlier in the year? Portland and Seattle are both on my travel lists, but right now I'm focused on San Francisco, since my daughter recently had a job transfer there. So happy for her! So sad for me, but trying to be brave and sometimes even succeeding....

Laura Tringali Holmes said...

Carole, thanks! I anticipate good things in 2012, even though my horoscope (!) predicts challenging times. Can't help but read those beginning-of-the-year predictions, been doing it since I was 13. Old habits die hard, but I am hoping that the ability to sit back and wait...quietly...will turn into a new habit for me both this year and ongoing.

amy of studio four corners said...

thanks Laura for the info -I'll check it out. Cannon Beach, though a lovely place, is a bit off the beaten path...
san fran is a wonderful place- so much to see and do!

Anonymous said...

Incredible!! I agree with amyd...the film strips work very well. (Of course, being a photographer...they did catch my eye!)

Very inspirational...thank you!!

Laura Tringali Holmes said...

Thanks, Dave! Appreciate the comment!

Caterina Giglio said...

these are stunning... just love the texture and the old film strip...

Bill said...

These are so wonderful! I love birds, and you certainly did them justice in your creations.

Laura Tringali Holmes said...

Grazie, Caterina and Bill! So glad you enjoyed my birdies!

Denise Aumick said...

Absolutely perfect! I love these and want them all. Feel free to give them to me as a birthday gift....ha, ha, ha....

Laura Tringali Holmes said...

Hmmmmm...so, Denise...when's your birthday?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...