Sunday, February 17, 2013

Front End Loading

 
These are a few playing cards that I've recently altered for collaboration with other collage artists.



When you're on the front end of a collaboration, as I am here, the challenge is to choose images and colors that hint and suggest...and then to stop with the cutting and pasting before you spill the beans on the whole story. 




For somebody like me, who likes nothing better than to sit in a pile of paper scraps and play out a story to the nth degree, this is a lot harder than it sounds.




How will the receiving artists respond to my prompts? That's always the magical part, made even more wondrous by the intimate scale of a playing card.

6 comments:

amy of studio four corners said...

its been interesting to watch this project in action...I too would have a hard time stopping in time so the next artist had room to add their own perspective...and all on such a small scale - impressive!

Cappuccinoandartjournal.blogspot.com said...

I really like the cards!

Caterina Giglio said...

I have always found small canvas the hardest to work on... well done

Laura Tringali Holmes said...

Amy, thanks! I've worked on collaborations with four-on-the-same-playing-card, and there always seems to be room for one more speck of paper. Admittedly, a tiny speck of paper....

Laura Tringali Holmes said...

Thanks, PASF. I was just in your city a week ago visiting one of my kids...missed the opportunity for a joss paper hunt, though. Next time.

Laura Tringali Holmes said...

It's the big swaths of space that make me crazy, CG. Actually, not even all that big. Anything over 8x10 seems to push buttons, so the little surfaces...they're an "ah."

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...