Thursday, September 29, 2011

Toward a Sense of Place

Part of life's journey for many of us seems to be about finding a sense of place. Whether it is a physical place or a symbological one that we seek, the call to find a place where we feel just right is strong. I have always been a Goldilocks, my life littered with chairs both too big and too small. It is the search for that sense of just-right space that propels a great deal of my work. Certainly this is true of my latest altered book project, which I call The Spectator. What follows are seven photos of two spreads from that book. Both are interactive spreads, containing  moving elements. In designing these pages, I was expressing what my sense of place might look like; in creating the interactive elements, my aim was to pull in the reader and have him or her stay awhile...in my space.

This is an overview of the sixth spread.
 (Xylene transfer/acetate, papers old and new, ribbon, Japanese masking tape,
 dye inks, acrylics, markers, button, metal tape, paper mesh)

Lifting the paper mesh reveals the door.
 (Xylene transfer/acetate, text snips, markers, baker's string, ribbon, Japanese masking
 tape, hardware, dye inks, acrylics, clock, charm, fabric, old nail for door bolt)
After opening the doors there is a tip-in page.
 (Tip-in page made from old postcard. Old paper, acetate, baker's
string, dye inks, acrylics, metal tape, nail)
After turning the tip-in page.
(Fancy paper, Japanese masking tape, gel transfer image, dye inks, acrylics, baker's string, papers,
 text snip: "no matter how thin you slice it, it's always baloney.")
The tenth spread contains a tip-in page and a flap. This is the tip-in.
(Papers from old books and magazines, acetate, dye inks, acrylics, masking tape, cardboard tip-in page)
After turning the tip-in page.
(Old postcards, playing card, dye inks, acrylics, various papers, baker's string, acetate) 
After lifting up the flap.
(New and old papers, masking tape, photo prints, dye ink, resin, sheet music) 

In my travels both near and far, I have come to find myself seeking out places that seem to have within them a sacred grounding. This may be something as casual as a well-pruned apple orchard against an agrarian skyline or something as magnificent as the environmental sculpture Opus 40, in Saugerties, NY. Built by sculptor Harvey Fite with hand tools and local bluestone, Opus 40 took 37 years to complete. If you are anywhere near the Saugerties area, this landmark is well worth a visit.
Approaching Opus 40.
Inside the sculpture 
As always, thanks for listening.

17 comments:

Kanchan Mahon said...

Laura,

What a wonderful description of our common road towards comfort and creativity! I too have searched for my place, but don’t seem to be as close to my goal as you.

Certainly I’m not so imaginative or insightful as to see that the use of collage may be just such an attempt.

amy of studio four corners said...

I love your work...I love how you identify the process...its so insightful...I looked around - is your work for sale somewhere...I need to know!

Laura Tringali Holmes said...

Kanchan, yes, it is a process with a capital P! What is intriguing is how the search changes to reflect who we are at any given time.

Laura Tringali Holmes said...

Amyd, thank you SO much for your comment! Yes, my work is for sale...through galleries and art fairs and here (the blog) and through http://weedlace.deviantart.com. I am determined to open an ETSY store come the turn of the year--right now, I am still banging around in the loss of my mom and can't seem to think straight. I am very grateful for your positivity. Sometimes I feel like a deep black ocean...comments like yours are like sunlight. Thank you!!!

LaWendula said...

What an intruguing stuff, Laura!
Great job! I love every page.

btw: Will send your October swap out tomorrow. xo FM

Emce said...

Thanks for your blog,I think
we have to search during our whole live, because it is changing constant.

Laura Tringali Holmes said...

LaWendula, I look forward to receiving the paper! Thank you! And I'm glad you enjoyed the book. Putting it together is a true labor of love for me.

Laura Tringali Holmes said...

Yes, Emce, the searching never ends, and that is probably a good thing in that it keeps us open to the possibilities. Your comment is appreciated.

Carole Reid said...

Laura, your pages are outstanding. I'd love to have a visit with you and lift the flaps, peek through the mesh, and discover the page's secrets.
This morning I received an email regarding the same topic of finding "place". He asked me if I feel like I'm in the right place, how do I know, how does it feel? I'll ponder this more before answering his email.

Laura Tringali Holmes said...

Carole, over the years my place radar has honed itself--probably through the process of elimination--but it is always under refinement. One sure sign is the shoulder test. If my shoulders are tensed up and somewhere near the bottoms of my ears, it's the wrong place, oh yes it is! And I am up for a future coffee-and-art date. Smiling over here.

kat said...

the spectator is just gorgeous, weeds. at the moment i am carefully starting to be more creative again, which includes preparing another altered book as well.
glueing the pages, cutting the flaps and holes is a place i feel completely comfortable in - whereas outside of that there is not much enjoyable at the moment.
love is too far away; greed and resentment too close by ... but at least it seems to be coming to the final, decisive battles very soon and i hope to be finally divorced and in the clear about finances by the end of the month.
i wish you a beautiful vacation!
hugs,
kat

Laura Tringali Holmes said...

Kat...sound to me like we need to do a Jahrbuch redeux. I can bury secret inspirational messages within the pages to make you laugh. Hang in. Things unravel and then, mysteriously, manage to reweave. Hugs back.

LPC said...

So illuminated, in all sense of the word.

Laura Tringali Holmes said...

LPC, there is usually illumination in even the backward steps for me. I am learning to rotate perspective. I surely appreciate your comment. Thanks!

Jill Zaheer said...

Laura, wha a wonderful post! Love the idea of the journey in life to find our special place. Super pages in your altered book- the style is just perfect. Thanks so much for stopping by and commenting on my blog from your visit to Seth! A special treat for me! Jilly

Laura Tringali Holmes said...

Jilly, thank you kindly! Looking forward to following your art journey. laura

Denise Aumick said...

Hi Laura,
Wonderful book that makes me want to reach out and touch. I, too, have difficulty finding a hat that fits or feels correct. I sometimes wonder if this has to do with individual complexity - I've often envied people who seem capable of a simpler existence.
Denise

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...