Friday, July 22, 2011

Memento Vitae

This is the last installment of the story of the work I did on Margaret Orr's collaged background. (Margaret's work may be found here: http://hogret.deviantart.com) The progress had some interesting twists and turns—experimenting with a brand new transfer material, for example, and then stumbling upon the works of Mexico City “mechanic artist” Betsabee Romero in a local museum shortly thereafter. In a way, Betsabee Romero joined Margaret and me as a collaborator on this piece, albeit unwittingly. Influence as Collaboration is an interesting idea, and one I want to think more about. But back to this piece. My original idea in working on this collage was to comment on the role of mass media in contemporary society. Somewhere back in my (admittedly short) list of blogs, I talked about intentional design and how it helps me with focus. I wonder if I would have responded as I did to the Romero work if I hadn't had the concept of this piece implanted in my mind during the initial stages of design. I don't think so. I think I just might have missed the satisfying “ping” of puzzle pieces falling into place. And so the learning process continues.


My botched attempt at image transfer on the collaged background
Anyway, the above photo shows where I left off a couple of blogs ago, a good example of Image Transfer Gone Bad. No fault of the transfer material (Lesley Riley's TAP), I hasten to add, just what happens when one fails to practice first on scrap.





Betsabee Romero's televisions with etched screens and video
And the installation shown above, Celosias Interiores (Interior Lattice Windows), is what I saw at the Betsabee Romero exhibit at the Neuberger Museum of Art in Purchase, NY, shortly after beginning work on the piece.


.A small acetate transparency over the family members reiterates the text. Later on I swapped it out for a transparency of the Magic Message.
When I resumed work on the piece, it became the most natural thing in the world to insert the photo of the Blank-Staring-People into the frame that I had inadvertently created while attempting the image transfer.


. The mica is the brown sheet material...you can see it best overlapping the shoulder of the boy.
Influenced as I was by the television installation at the museum, I started to glue bits of sheet mica around the heads of the family members. The background began to take on aspects of a telvision screen, and the mica cracks were just perfect for what I was and am feeling about television. It's really cool, and the photo doesn't do the mica justice.

I liked where this was going, but there was still work to be done. Two things bothered me. The brown splotches from the original background, which I had liked at first, now looked haphazard. I had covered up a few of the splotches so they had lost their original impact and now seemed to me to be just “there.” Also, the blue scissor tape on the left and bottom of the background had gotten lost. It didn't relate to anything else in the collage. My eye kept sticking in these places. I needed round and I needed blue.

The finished piece, entitled Blank Stares
Flash onto the televisions of my childhood. Rabbit ear antennas! I hauled out an old Popular Science Monthly magazine (1939) to search for something that I could convert into an antenna base. I found it, snipped it, and then discovered that a V from a headline would do very well for the rabbit ears.

As a last touch, from the same magazine, I cut up some blue borders and made them into legs for the television. I went skinny with the legs because I wanted the tension of my newly constructed television looking like it could come crashing down at any moment. And I liked the way the skinny legs framed the extra little message at the bottom about “good health.” That was a bonus that I didn't see until the very end.

I guess this tells you something about how I view mass media. Thanks for listening.

5 comments:

amy of studio four corners said...

Laura - just discovered your blog and your work - you signed up as a follower on my blog - love your work - so many layers and textures...I'm your newest follower!
amy of four corners design

Shells said...

Wow, great work.

Laura Tringali Holmes said...

Thank you, Amyd and Shells! Comments much appreciated!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Not just a commentary on mass media (television in particular), but a great piece of art, too. I love how you have taken us through the piece from start to finish. I look forward to your next collage. These are so much fun to explore along the way with you.

Laura Tringali Holmes said...

Glad you are enjoying and so happy that you like the piece. It had me going for a while there! I enjoy the twists and turns!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...