Saturday, September 17, 2011

A Life of It's Own

Never trust your scraps. They march across your workspace and jump onto your canvas. This piece was headed somewhere else (described in a previous blog: "The Various Messages of Scraps"),  when words from a 1946 copy of The Grade Teacher muscled their way aboard. The focus turned with the zest of an old Pinto with rack-and-pinion steering.

The Egg-Handlers, mixed media on 8x10 canvas board, September 2011
Source paper: Birds of America (1913), Progressive Tailor Magazine (1926), The Grade Teachers (1946)
Photo print courtesy of Mrs. Inman
This project has grown and now there is a series of three other pieces underway. Using various transfer techniques, stenciling, and prints of the original photo, I find myself enchanted with all that can be expressed by the image of this faceless woman. And I do so love her hat....

Thanks for listening.

4 comments:

Denise Aumick said...

Laura...is this one of your pieces? I like it a lot.

amy of studio four corners said...

meant to comment on previous post where you went through the steps to consider what to put on this piece to finish it off - it was so interesting to read my thought process online!
and now I love that a totally different scrap has made its way onto the collage...and it seems perfect place for it...can't wait to see the next in the series!

Carole Reid said...

My scraps do the same thing when I'm not looking! I turn around and there it is sticking in the perfect spot.
Gotta love scraps.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I had to go back and read your previous post to get the complete thread. I've been late all week and this is just the latest in my tardiness. I like how you auditioned your scraps and they finally spoke to you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...