Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Going Metal

I am taken with tin. And of course altering playing cards remains dear to my heart. As is paper, the older the better. So I've been combining my loves and this is what's been happening in my neck of the woods.


I call this one "Shiny Shoes and Epaulets." It's made from a piece of coffee tin, text from an 1889  copy of Harper's Monthly Magazine, metal fasteners, and a few spatters of acrylic paint, all grounded on a playing card.


This one is "She Who Masks Last Masks Best." The (rusted) ceiling tin bird is masked with a bit of Colorado license plate, and there's that paper from the 1889 Harpers Monthly again. A reproduction playing card from the Second Word War serves as the base.

Those sharp little offcuts that fly off my tin snips are beastly to clean up--and pose a real safety issue to my under-table pooch--so I've become best friends with a Dustbuster. What we do for our dogs!

6 comments:

Simply Pretty Stuff said...

love this bird friend! I like metal too. and yes, dustbuster is a must to protect our hairy four footers!
xo

Shells said...

They look great, well done.

Cindy Silverstein said...

I love these, Laura! Very, very fun.

Laura Tringali Holmes said...

Thanks Lynne, Shells, and Cindy. Glad you like these guys. More are in the pipeline!

my croft said...

Good to see you again. I'm intrigued and delighted by these as well -- can hardly wait for an opportunity to see them IRL.

I gave up working with glass because I was spending more time being SURE, absolutely SURE, that there were no splinters anywhere after (and sometimes during) a work session than I was spending working. And all for the cats, god love them.

Laura Tringali Holmes said...

Mycroft! We are ruled by animals! (A good thing!)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...